Sunday, August 30, 2009

All Good Leaders Are In Touch With Their Strengths & Weaknesses

Beth McGeorge with Re/Max Jefferson City, is a YPN Advisory Board member and shares her experiences of what it is like to be a local board of REALTORS® board president. Beth has accomplished a lot at as a young professional in the real estate business. We appreciate her view point that she shares here:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking on the role as the Jefferson City Area Board of REALTORS President was somewhat intimidating at first but I had many reasons for accepting my nomination and stepping up to the plate. Like many others that have been asked to serve in any leadership role I initially questioned what I had to offer. I wondered if I had enough experience, knowledge, etc. I very quickly realized that we all have out strengths and weaknesses. My main strength is that I bring a new perspective (being in the business less than 5 years and at 25 years old I had a different generation's outlook). All good leaders are in touch w/ their strengths and weaknesses and I knew going into this position that I would need to be in close contact w/ the REALTORS/Leaders that have served before me and would have a better handle on the trends from years past, etc.

I have found the year to be very rewarding, educational and once I got the year underway it was far less intimidating than I originally thought. What helped me the most was to relax and realize that all Board Presidents have different strengths and weaknesses and to focus on what I do best and welcome ideas from other members of the board when things arise that are out of my scope.

Diversity helps make for a more rounded organization and I think we are benefiting well from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment